By Jess Lin Leave a Comment
If you’re looking for some fantastic strong female dog names and meanings, you’ll adore our list!
We’ve scoured the world and dug through history for the inspiration to find you the fiercest feminine ideas that perfectly capture your tough girl’s personality.
Take a peek, then tell us your favorite at the end!
115 Strong Female Dog Names and Meanings
For the new addition to your household, the change in the environment can be a scary one.
Some puppies will cower in a corner and shiver in fear, while others will bravely meet their unfamiliar surroundings with full confidence.
Regardless of the breed, if you have a tough and strong fur baby on your hands, we have the perfect list of names for your furry new baby girl.
- Abbie (or Abby)-For Abigail Adams. Readher biographyand you’ll see why!
- Adira– the Hebrew name literally means “strong.”
- Ada– After Ada Lovelace, the world’s very first computer programmer
- Ama(short for Amazon) – No no, not the e-commerce website. Rather, we’re referring to the mythological race of women who were super tough and strong, like Wonder Woman!
- Amber-Jurassic Park wouldn’t have dinosaurs without this strong resin, right?
- Annie-as in Annie Oakley, one tough lady from the Wild, Wild West!
- Amelia– for Amelia Earhart
- Ariel– She found her voice again and defeated the sea hag.
- Artemis– The huntress, it’s hard to get any tougher than that.
- Bailey– a wonderful gender-neutral name for a tough pup!
- Banshee– This is great for howling huskies and strikes fear in the hearts of people who hear it.
- Belle– This is for the beauty inBeauty and the Beast.She is strong, extremely kind and determined.
- Bella– It’s one of the most popular girl dog names, and there are so many strong Bellas out there.
- Bertha– for Bertha Von Suttner, the first woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Black Widow– I think the name speaks for itself.
- Callie– Like the tough character from Grey’s Anatomy.
- Candi– Candy with an “i” just sounds tougher!
- Carrie– Carrie Chapman Catt was a great suffragist who fought for women’s rights.
- Cinnamon– It’s a spice with some good kick!
- Clara– After Clara Barton, founder of the Red Cross.
- Cleopatra– A tough lady in history. You can shorten it to Cleo!
- Coco– after Coco Chanel
- Cruella– She definitely won’t turn into a fur coat.
- Daphne– Read abouther rolein Greek mythology and you’ll see why!
- Diamond– The hardest substance on earth, it’s hard to beat this in the strength category.
- Diana– The alias of Wonder Woman (name a lady tougher than that), and we can’t forget about the latePrincessDi!
- Diva– Usually divas don’t take any attitude, they just dish it out.
- Dorothy– She defeated the Wicked Witch of the West, after all.
- Duchess– If “Duke” deserves a spot on a list of strong male dog names, then Duchess deserves a spot here!
- Elektra– A fearsome fighter in Marvel comics.
- Ella– For Cinderella. She was bullied by her whole step-family, but she never once lost hope. That’s pretty strong if you ask me.
- Eliza– After Eliza Leonida Zamfirescu, the first female engineer in the world.
- Elsa– She may be a prettyprincessin periwinkle, but if you have seen the movie then you will know she is super strong.
- Emma– lots of strong Emmas out there, but I’m thinking Emma Watson here.
- Erebus– TheGreekGoddess of Shadows.
- Freya– The Norse Goddess of Love. I know what you’re thinking, but what’s tougher than a goddess regardless of what she reigns over?
- Gamora– With the popularity comic book movies are quickly gaining, we couldn’t not name a super strong fighter.
- Gigi-Means “farmer,” and I think we can all agree that farmers are made of strong stuff!
- Gina– For Gina Carano. Also a former mixed martial artist, she used to be the girlfriend of Superman himself!
- Ginger– It might sound cute, but it’s a reference to the movieGingerSnaps,whereGingeris a tough werewolf.
- Harley– Like the matriarch of the Suicide Squad. She may be insane, but she is tough.
- Harriet– She’s one tough little spy!
- Helen– Helen Keller was an incredibly strong woman.
- Hera– The wife of Zeus in Greek mythology.
- Ida-For IdaB. Wells-Barnett, founder of theAlpha Suffrage Club in Chicago
- Iikaika-It means “strong” in Hawaiian.
- Jessie– another great gender-neutral tough girl dog name.
- Jane– After Jane Adams, one of the greats in the women’s rights movements.
- Jinx– Is it tough? Not exactly, but it does bring the word “resilient” to mind.
- Juno– The Roman goddess was a great protector!
- Katana– The famed sword used by the Japanese samurai.
- Katniss(or maybe Dogniss)
- Komako– After suffragist Komako Kimura, who fought for women’s rights in 1917.
- Koa– It actually means “brave”.
- Kona– Lots of meanings, but I’m thinking of the delicious strong coffee.
- Lucy– after the tough and sassy Peanuts character.
- Luna– This Harry Potter character proved that she’s tougher than she looks!
- Maggie– There are so many strong actresses named Maggie!
- Marie– For the great Marie Curie, of course.
- Matla– means “strong” in Sesotho
- Maya– a goddess name in many religions!
- Medusa– The Gorgon with snakes for hair, who would want to mess with thispup?
- Merida– The movie isBrave,but it might as well have been named Strong.
- Midnight– Anything that has to do with the night is tough in our books.
- Minerva– TheRoman Goddessof Wisdom and War. Basically, she is the Roman counterpart ofAthena.
- Minnie– Mickey’s true love has proved time and again that she’s no pushover!
- Moana– You will know why if you have watched the movie.
- Mulan– TheDisneyprincessthat went off to war to protect her father. Who is stronger than her?
- Nadia-Nadia Comaneci was the first female gymnast to score a perfect 10 in the Olympics.
- Nala– just because it’s a cat name doesn’t mean it’s not a great pick for your puppy’s name, too!
- Nova– A cosmic force that creates a new star.
- O– For Oprah, you know, that tough lady that is one of the richest self-made women in the world.
- Olympia –an adorably fancy strong puppy name!
- Onna– for the Onna-Bugeisha, female Samurai Warriors in Feudal Japan.
- Penny– short for Penelope, a Greek goddess name.
- Persephone– Being married to the king of the underworld has to get you some serious tough points.
- Phoenix– It’s a legendary bird that rises from the ashes. It’s also the name of one of the most powerful superheroes to grace our screens.
- Poppy– the flower symbolizes hope. What’s stronger than that?
- Queen– For obvious reasons.
- Rebel– The word literally means a person who is against authority, that’s pretty strong, right? Also, it’s the name of an adorable Australian actress.
- Rhea– The mother of Zeus himself, and the wife of a Titan, arguably the strongest lady out there.
- Rogue– For the strong and independent types.
- Ronda– For Ronda Rousey, American mixed martial artist and pro wrestler. Who defines “tough” better than her?
- Rosa– After Rosa Parks, of course.
- Roxie– One of my favorite tough-sounding girl dog names!
- Ruby-This beautiful gemstone embodies all that is sassy and strong!
- Sage– A little bit witchy, you wouldn’t want to mess with a dog that has this name.
- Sarla– ForSarla Thukral, the first Indian woman to fly a plane.
- Sassy– For dogs with a whole lotta attitude.
- Septima– For Septima Poinsette Clark, a civil rights activist.
- Shadow– A name that encompasses the dark always seems tough.
- Sheba– Queen Sheba
- Spook– It’s kind of cute, but kind of scary.
- Stella– it’s a Latin and Italian name that means “celestial star.”
- Storm– This name just sounds ultra-cool.
- Tiana– A strong girl who followed her own dreams.
- Trinity– Have you seenThe Matrix?Yeah, it’s the name of that strong and tough broad.
- Tye– forTye Leung Schulze, thefirst Chinese woman to vote in a democratic election.
- Wilhelmina –Wilhelmina Kekelaokalaninui was a Hawaiian suffragist.
- Vahva– it literally means “strong” in Finnish.
- Valkyrie– The tough female warriors in Norse legends.
- Valentina– After Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space.
- Venus– A super athlete and the Goddess of Love.
- Virginia– after the amazing Virginia Woolf
- Yakasimba– means “strong” in Shona.
- Xena– Does anyone remember thiswarrior princess?
That’s quite the list of strong female dog names! I hope you found something that you love for your new furry friend.
It’s hard to choose a favorite for my own girl dogs, but I love Freya and Valkyrie. You really can’t get much tougher than a good strong Viking name!
Which of these strong female dog names and meanings resonate with you? Tell us in the comments below!
View all posts