If you are looking for Scottish Dog names, you are in the right place!
Scotland is a part of the United Kingdom.
However, various dog names are unique to Scotland.
So, if you have a Scottish dog breed such as Scottish Terrier, Scottish Deerhound, Skye Terrier, and so on, you can choose Scottish dog names for your puppy.
Scottish Terriers: The Charm of Sco...
Scottish Terriers: The Charm of Sco...
ExploreBreed Specific Dog Names
Even if your dog breed is another type, you can still choose a good Scottish name for your puppy.
So, in this article, we have list down 500+ Scottish dog names under different themes.
Table of Contents
Male Scottish Dog Names and Meanings
|Graham - farm home||Roy - king|
|Niblick - nose||Dowell - stranger|
|Maleod - ugly wolf||Halifax - early settler|
|McGowan - son of the blacksmith||Frazier - forest men|
|Burr - Cold||Barton - barley|
|Gilford - ford where the marigolds grew||Oswald - god' + weald 'power|
|Whiting - fair one||Wylie - from Wylye|
|Cowan - son of||Carr - dusky|
|McFee - peaceful person||Burt - bright|
|Remy - oarsman||Amherst - Scottish surname|
|Shawn - God is gracious||Edwin - rich friend|
|Douglas - black stream||Alfred - counsel|
|Finn - blond warrior||Ackerman - field" or "agriculture|
|Marcas - dedicated to Mars||Boyd - yellow|
|Cricton - is a small village||Conant - little hound|
|Maguire - son of Odhar||Bodie - BODY|
|Magoon - son of the smith||Bernard - supreme|
|Logan - small hollow||Argyle - an Irishman, from the land of the Gaels|
|Coby - Cobyis aScottish city name||Lean - son of the servant of Saint John|
|Goodrich - famous||Richmond - The Protector King|
|McGrath - prosperity||Gallagher - foreign help|
|Hurst - Asurname of a family||Blair - field|
|Muir - moor||Ballard - lack of hair|
|Denton - Family History||Aldridge - farmstead|
|Corkin - Local||Wickliff - a village name|
|Gavin - district of land||Agan - Strength and vigilance|
|Ian - the Lord is gracious||Bath - Troosers|
|Stuart - guardian||Faden - Name derrived from Paidean|
|Walter - ruler of the army||Falkland - Village in Scotland|
|Bunyan - Onion||Bard - minstrel|
|Gibbs - bright||Lennox - with many elm trees|
|Glasgow - hollows||Reynold - brave councilor|
|Kilgour - A name of a city||Angus - one|
|Wallace - foreigner||Bryce - speckled|
|McRuff - Scotlandnorth of the river Forth||Darrow - 'oak tree|
|Fintan - ittle fair one||Ackland - oak-land|
|Newbury - fortress or town||Alpin - white|
|Scott - Gaelic speaker||Anders - manly|
|Ramsey - Wild garlic||Edmund - fortune|
|Duff - black peace||Barclay - birch tree meadow|
|Granger - a farmer||Ashby - The surname of famous Ashby family|
|Grant - large||Ashford - Lives by the ash tree ford|
|Hunter -||Bain - white|
|Kyle - caol||Archie - bald|
|Michael - Who is like God||Davis - son of Daved|
|Kincade - pass||Hansel - good-luck gift|
|McGinnis - son of Angus||Campbell - crooked mouth|
|Alford - ford by the temple||McFadden - son of little Patrick|
|Putter - push or shove||Duncan - battle|
|Tavis - Twin||Bruce - the willowlands|
|McGill - son of the stranger||Calder - rough waters|
|Stewart - household guardian||Forbes - Wealthy or stubborn|
|Herman - Famous Bearer||Baber - occupation|
|Ogden - resided near an oak valley||Duffy - Black|
|Croft - fenced or enclosed area||Aston - east town; ash tree settlement|
|Macbeth - righteous man||Gunn - battle|
|McIntyre - Son of the Craftsman||Watson - son of Walter|
|Reed - red haired||Edward - Son of Edward|
|Holcombe - valley||Bagley - clearing in the woods|
|Osborn - divine bear||Dugal - Dark foreigner|
|Jack - God is gracious||Agar - Chemically comes from agarose|
|Clark - secretary||Murray - settlement by the sea|
|Stanwood - From the stony forest||Fletcher - arrowsmith or seller of arrows|
|Herbert - bright||Atherton - settlement|
|Channing - young wolf||Logan - small hollow|
|McKay - son of Aodh||Connor - Lover of Wolves|
|Ralph - wolf||Dunn - brown-haired|
|Wickham - plain in a wood||McCree - luck|
|Moore - big||Shone - shine|
|Kenzie - The fair one||Alaister - defender of man|
|Maxwell - Mack's spring||Brodie - muddy place|
|Ralston - Ralph's town||Eaton - farm on a river|
|McNamara - son of the sea||Conway - free quarters|
|Morton - settlement||Baker - to dry by heat|
|Collins - holly||Patton - living near hills|
|Carson - Carr's son||Cameron - Bent nose|
|Acton - settlement||Fagan - peasant|
|Clyde - warm||Nevis - mountain|
|Gibson - son of Gilbert||McDuff - dark|
|Drake - dragon||Alpine - fair|
|Hector - keeper of horses||Mulligan - grandson of the bald man|
|Kirk - church||Berkeley - Chamberlain ofScotland|
|Driscol - news bearer||Alvin - precious friend|
|Henry - home ruler||Munroe - man of Ro|
|Finley - hero||Aberdeen - at the mouth of the Don|
|Camus - Battle||Calum - Dove|
|Colin - victory of the people||Oscar - deer friend|
|Dougal - dark stranger|
Check out moreMale Dog names
Female Scottish Dog Names and Meanings
Many Scottish people name their female dogs with human baby girl names.
Further, this nation takes care of dogs as their own children. So, when you give human names, it helps you to feel your puppy as a real human child.
Below is a list of Scottish dog names for your girl dogs.
|Tyra - Land||Maggie - Pearl|
|Cait - pure||Fergie - highest choice|
|Aileen - Light||Kinny - From the top of the cliff|
|Alice - nobility||Blair - battlefield|
|Teagan - attractive||Logan - small hollow|
|Whitney - a parish in County Herefordshire||May - May month|
|Nora - honor||Kellee/Kelly - aggressive|
|Deidra - broken-hearted||Jinny -|
|Bretta - From Britain||Lara - Mare|
|Crissie - Follower of Christ||Nessa - pure|
|Adair - From the oak tree ford||Iona - Purple Jewel|
|Eva - life||Sheena - God is gracious|
|Dacey - from the south||Allie - Harmony|
|Ada - adornment||Hydra -|
|Cora - Seething pool||Molly - General female name|
|Crichton - Tthis is a surname||Enya - little fire|
|Cassidy - curly-haired||Lesley - garden of hollies|
|Paisley - church, cemetery||Kerry - blacky|
|Anice - Grace||Bonni - Beautiful|
|Dixie - tenth||Ally - defender of man|
|Davina - Beloved or friend||Isla - dynamic|
|Edith - prosperous in war||Shannon - skilled storyteller|
|Caitlan - pure||Fia - Dark of peace|
|Cori - dweller in or near a hollow||Ellie - radiant|
|Ainsley - one's own meadow||Artis - bear|
Explore 2000+ more Girl Dog Names
Scottish Dog Names Inspired by Geography
Scotland is one of the most beautiful countries with many natural geographical places.
Further, some of those places and locations have become world-famous and tourist attractors.
Some people name their puppies with those famous landmarks, cities, towns, rivers, and so on.
Below is a list of Scottish dog names from beautiful Scottish locations.
- Edinburgh– This is the capital city of Scotland. Further, the famous Edinburgh Castle is in this city.
- Glasgow– This is a famous port city in Scotland. It was also popular as a trading city.
- Oban– This is a resort town. It can also host about 25000 people in tourist seasons.
- Skye– The city is famous for its unique landscapes. Moreover, the city is known for fishing as well.
- Andrews– This is a seaside town. Also, there are many golf courses in the city.
- Aberdeen– This is also a port city in Scotland. This city has another name called “Granite City.”
- Elgin– This town was previously a Royal Burgh in Moray. Further, it was a major commercial city.
- Arran– This is an island in Scotland. Also, this island has a 432 square kilometers land
- Paisley– This city is in the west-central lowlands.
- Islay– Isle of Arran, this is the full name of the above island.
- Cuillin– This is a group of mountains on the island mentioned above.
- Lomond– It is a lake in southern Scotland.
Check out Dog Names in otherCountries and Regions.
Fun and Cool Scottish Puppy Names
If your puppy is a fun and playful breed. You may choose a cool name that convinces your dog is fun and cool.
Below is a list of fun and cool Scottish dog names.
- Laddie– It means a young man or boy.
- Lassie– girl or young woman.
- Ness/Nessie– This is a Scottish surname. Also, the meaning of this name is “headland.”
- Loch– this is the terms used in the Scottish language for “lake.”
- Haggis– this is a traditional Scottish dish. Further, it includes ingredients such as the heart, liver, and lungs of a sheep, onions, oatmeal, and so on.
- Whiskey– Scotland is famous for Whiskey. Also, they produce a various number of Whiskey types.
- Scotch– This is a Whiskey variant. Therefore, there are some other variants, such as malt and grain.
- Kilt– Traditional Scottish skirt. Further, this skirt is unisex.
- Connery– He was a Retired Scottish actor. Also, he has won Academy awards as well
- William Wallace– He was a Scottish knight. Further, he was a frontline leader in the first war for Scottish independence.
- Highlander– A nickname for a person from highlands.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle– He was the author of the world-famous Sherlock home fictional series.
- Sherlock– This is the name of the detective in the fictional series of Conan Doyle
- Bairn– This is a Scottish English term for children. Also, a good name for a baby dog.
- Cannie– This means a “wise person” in the Scottish language
- Dafty– A person who is not wise.
- Toaty– it means “little” in Scottish.
- Tartan– This name has derived from Tartar cloths.
- Chip– it has the same meaning as fry.
- Ale– It means alcohol or alcohol-containing drinks.
- Plaid– The term is widely used for “blankets.”
- Sterling– The primary currency of the country.
- Quid– This another variety of Scottish currency.
Find moreCool Dog Names
Scottish Food and Beverage Inspired Dog Names
There are various types of food that you can find only in Scotland when it comes to Scottish cuisine.
Many foreigners and tourists love these traditional Scotland food and beverage, and they enjoy them a lot.
So, some people tend to use Scottish food names as dog names.
Below is a list of Scottish dog names inspired by food and beverages.
- Haggis– This is a traditional Scottish cookie variety. Further, it makes using various flavors and spices.
- Grouse– They are usually making from bird meats. It also comes as delicious roasted or stewed in casseroles.
- Porridge– This Scottish diet comes both on sweet and salty flavors.
- Shortbread– This is a type of Scottish biscuit made from raspberry and local honey.
- Neeps and tatties– neeps’ are turnips, and ‘tatties’ are potatoes. So Scottish people usually eat both of these together.
Dog Names Inspired by Famous Scottish People
Scotland has produced award-winning actors and actresses to the world.
So, most of them are featuring in Hollywood movies.
Below is a list of Scottish dog names inspired by famous Scottish people.
- Sean Connery –He may be the most famous Scottish person for the entire world. Because he once played a James Bond role.
- Tilda Swinton– She was an actress. Also, a winner of Academy awards.
- Ewan Mcgregor– He is a famous Actor. Further, he played a role in Star Wars.
- James Mcavoy– He was a popular stage actor.
- Kelly Macdonald– She was also a famous Scottish actress.
Cute Scottish Names for Dogs
Scottish name is a bit similar to English names.
However, when you are selecting Scottish dog names for your puppies, you might think about whether you can pronounce the name properly.
Further, you can check out the below-related articles for other country-specific Dog names.
- German Dog Names
- French Dog Names
- British Dog Names
- Spanish Dog Names
- Irish Dog Names
- Hawaiian Dog Names
- Mexican Dog Names
- Italian Dog Names
- Greek Dog Names
- Japanese Dog Names
- Australian Dog Names
- Alaskan Dog Names
- Korean Dog Names
- Russian Dog Names
- Native American Dog Names
- Polish Dog Names
- African Dog Names
- Indian Dog Names
What is your favorite name?
Let us know in the comments section